...And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Scientists will attempt to clone human embryos in a manner of "therapeutic cloning."

Yes, the revolution has begun.

The Island was bad enough; now I have to live it?

But, in all seriousness, this is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good in that it's a major leap forward and that it could really help people. Bad in that it raises some very weighty and somewhat disconcerting moral issues (though I doubt most of the country is concerned with morals). I'm not going to go all narrow-view Bush and say that just because stem cells are being used it's an inherently evil process. But I'm conflicted.

Take this from the Reverend Tad Pacholczyk:

"...You are creating life precisely to destroy it. You are making young humans simply to strip-mine them for their desired cells and parts. And that is at root a fundamentally immoral project that cannot be made moral, no matter how desirable the cells might be that would be procured."

It's biased, yes, and I'm not going to agree with it 100% (though as a practicing Christian, it's a bias I can understand). But it raises some disturbing ideas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home