...And the Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is dead.

The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq was killed yesterday in an air raid. This is the most important person we've brought down since capturing Saddam Hussein in December 2003. The White House is overjoyed, though I'm feeling conflicted right now. I am relieved, apprehensive, and sad...all at the same time.

Let's go through them one at a time.

Relief: The Iraqi insurgents no longer have a leader, and may be greatly weakened because of it. This is an important step for out government and our military, and I am appreciative for anything that will get our troops the hell out of Iraq as soon as possible.

Apprehension: On the other end of the spectrum, the insurgents and the rest of al-Qaida could become further enraged to such unforeseen lengths that they could become more dangerous than they ever have been in the past. We've either placed our troops' ticket home within grasp or we've pulled it out of sight. It's very difficult to discern which way the tide will turn. And, as Bush said, the tide WILL turn. He's optimistic; I'm uneasy.

Sadness: al-Zarqawi was a bad man. I would perhaps even go so far as to say that he was evil. He killed and helped kill many people. Yet I cannot bring myself to celebrate the death of a man, regardless of what he's done. As I said before, I am somewhat relieved at al-Zarqawi's death. It could help to get us out of Iraq, something that I and many millions of other Americans have been hoping for for years. But I'm not going to be happy that a man is dead. I would never have wanted to meet him--and if he had killed any members of my family, I don't know what I would've done--but he was still a human soul. I am extremely happy that we may be putting the cork in the bloody champagne bottle of the supposed "War on Terror" sooner than expected, but I will not be happy that another human soul has perished, languishing in the pits of Hell.

The saddest thing of all is that I can't even tell whose fault it is anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home